Looking to recharge and de-stress? Do you like to read but need a little motivation? Are you looking for book suggestions or just someone to share your top picks with? Join the 2020 Summer Reading Challenge with your fellow Stag community, brought to you by the DiMenna-Nyselius Library, Health & Wellness Committee, and the Fairfield University Bookstore.
University staff, faculty, and students just need to use the Summer Reading Challenge online document ( on Quip) to add their name, goal number of books, and then add the titles after reading each book. For every book you read you will get an entry into the raffle to win prizes (prize list below). The Challenge runs from May 26th-August 20th 2020 and winners will be selected and notified on August 21st. Listening to audio books counts as reading too by the way!
Not sure what to read or how to access books this summer? Here are some suggestions:
- Look around your home. What is on your night stand collecting dust? Do you have a bookshelf full of books you have been meaning to get to, or ones you had read before and want to reread? This is your time! No more book hording/procrastinating this summer!
- Ask friends, family, and neighbors to borrow a book! Proper social distancing encouraged during your borrowing transaction.
- Check our your Public Library's offerings. Many public libraries have an app or program for patrons to access eBooks or audio books (Hoopla, Libby, etc). If you don't have a library card for your town's library, reach out to see if they register you online or over the phone. Librarians can help with "reader's advisory". Public libraries offer a great selection of popular books and streaming films too. Some libraries may start to offer curbside pick-up for print books and films too.
- DiMenna-Nyselius Library eBooks. Search our catalog for titles such as literary classics or academic and professional development. You can search for subjects or keyword too. Filters allow you to just view results that are "available online."
- Find a Little Free Library-the world's largest book sharing movement You may have seen these little boxes around your neighborhood or while traveling. They are take-a-book leave-a-book free book exchanges. There are approximately 100,000 in 108 countries. Go to the non-profit's site and use the map locator tool to find Little Free Libraries in your area (but keep in mind that not all are registered by individuals to appear on the map). Fun fact: One of our DNL librarians helped install 4 of them in her town.
- Purchase a book through the Fairfield University Bookstore. Order online and your books will be shipped to your home address. We are also excited that Phase 1 of their reopening is scheduled for May 27th! They will be open daily from 10am-4pm.
- Sign-up for a GoodReads account, Book Riot newsletters, or another blog or site for book lovers. GoodReads is social media for readers. It has many helpful lists for book recommendations. if you make an account and log the books you have read/want to read you will see suggestions based of your interests. BookRiot is the largest independent literary site in North America, bringing you news, bookish commentary, and of course book suggestions.
- Summer Reading Challenge Quip Document and Zoom event on June 1st. See what your colleagues are reading on the Quip doc all summer long. Or pop into a special edition of Lattes with Librarians: Summer Reading Challenge Kickoff at 10am on June 1st with your morning tea or coffee. Get the Zoom link from Life@Fairfield or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Reading Challenge Prizes
All participants will be entered into the raffle, with multiple entries corresponding to the number of books read and logged into the Quip Summer Reading Challenge document between May 26th-August 20th. Ex: you read five books so your name is entered into the raffle drawing as five separate entries.
- Mini book lights, donated by the Office of Human Resources. 10 winners.
- Fairfield University branded swag from the Health & Wellness Committee and Office of Human Resources. 2 winners.
- Gift certificate for two complimentary tickets to the Quick Center for the Arts Live Performances in Spring 2020 or Fall 2021. 2 winners
- Selection of Advanced Reader Copies (books that haven't been published yet), curated by the Fairfield University Bookstore based on your summer reading choices that you have logged on the Quip document. 1 winner.
Happy reading everyone!