Open Book Discussion
Open Book Discussion (formerly Colloquium) invites you to suggest books to discuss during the six sessions for the academic year 2013-14.
Some criteria to keep in mind:
- Books under 400 pages have a better chance of being selected and read.
- The best books for discussion typically have a controversial element, are cutting edge, and have provoked strong feelings, comments and reviews.
- We'd like to keep fiction limited to one book per year, in order to focus on books with interdisciplinary appeal.
- Academic books are fine as long as they are not too specialized and might inaccessible to readers outside the field.
- A book you’ve read is preferable to one that simply has a good review.
The format of the Open Book Discussion will be to have a facilitator who will introduce the book. The discussion will then proceed around the room so that everyone can contribute an insight. After the initial comments the discussion will be opened up.
Please tell us your suggestion in the “Leave a Reply” box below by May 15. Questions? Contact Michael Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org
Let us know if you are willing to be a facilitator. Thanks.